Sunday, September 14, 2008

THE FASTING MONTH…

Alhamdulillah, finally we meet again the month full of blessings, RAMADHAN. I really appreciated the chance of being able to go through another Ramadhan month this year. It does not only teach us muslims about the need to fast, but with it comes many other beneficial and good formula for our health. Everyone should grab this opportunity to become someone very much respected in the future.
Before Ramadhan began, I have deep thoughts on how my “berbuka puasa” and “sahur” would be. In the sense that, what shuld I eat? My aunt introduced, or can I say promoted me to register under a food service company, Mangkuk Tingkat.com. This company will deliver foods for “berbuka puasa” and “sahur” to your doorstep. And, it is very much affordable too. I thought of that as the best solution to my problems. With Mangkuk Tingkat, I don’t have to crack my head on thinking about what to eat everyday. Unfortunately, I was late one day to register, so I missed the service for this Ramadhan. It’s okey, maybe not my luck.
The first few days of Ramadhan were very exciting. I managed to “berbuka puasa with my housemates at home, and we cook! That’s the best thing. This is the first experience for me as when I stayed in the hostel, we just bought food at the nearby “bazaar ramadhan”. I have to tell, home cooking tastes much better. You decide how you want your food to taste, so you can’t complain. The time spent in the kitchen together did bring us housemates closer. We share jokes, stories about our family, and some recipes we learnt at home with our mothers. It was enjoyable.
Besides the food, I am also thankful to God for providing me strength and good health. But most important is, time. Alhamdulillah, I have time to perform my “tarawikh” at the mosque nearby. But I often feel sleepy after coming home just after “tarawikh” prayer. Sometimes I just went to sleep soon after that. And leave my assignments unattended until “sahur” time comes. Guess I need to find a way to avoid my sleepiness as many assignments are on their way.
What’s very interesting about my Ramadhan this year is that I do not have the opportunity to break the fast with my family members. When my family was still staying in Kuala Lumpur, I often go back home during weekends to break the fast. Now that they’re living in Sabah, only phone calls bonded us together. My younger brothers too are fasting okey. They even woke my mother up for “sahur”. I guess they want “duit raya” from my dad if the perform full 30 days of fasting. Well, things never came free in this world right?
Without realizing it, it had been nearly two weeks into Ramadhan. How fast time moves. Maybe two or three days more, Hari Raya songs will be played on radios and televisions. That’s when the spirit of Hari Raya will be felt by Muslims. With this opportunity, I would like to wish all my friends a blissful Ramadhan, and a joyous Hari Raya celebration. May we always be united as Muslims…

No comments: